!!! NEW HULA CLASS IN LONDON – STARTS FRIDAY 13 SEPTEMBER !!!
When: Fridays 7.30 – 9.00 pm (for 6 weeks starting 13 September)
How much: £15 per class (drop-in), or book all six and get a discount*
(*Terms and conditions apply)
Where: Office Studio @ Academy Mews, Camden (first floor)
Dive into Hawaiian culture through hula dance.
Hula kahiko (‘ancient’ hula)
Discover the joy of oli (chant), physical conditioning, dance posture and technique, storytelling and so much more.
Hula auana (modern hula)
Explore various aspects of our world, Hawai’i and human nature through hula performed to Western-influenced instruments and melodies.
Lei making, ukulele jams, costuming etc. can be covered in separate sessions on request. Workshops focusing mainly on choreography will also be scheduled (dates tbc).
Private and Skype lessons also available.
🌺 I’ve never danced hula before, is this for me?
Yes, these classes will not assume any prior knowledge or experience.
🌺 I’m a more experienced dancer, can I come?
E komo mai! It never hurts to keep your basics strong and hula is always most fulfilling in a group. There will obviously be choreography but it’s not always the focus, so bear that in mind.
🌺 Is hula just for women?
No! Absolutely not, everyone is welcome at this class. If you have any questions, please get in touch.
🌺 Can kids take this class?
This class is not ideal for kids and any children must be accompanied by a participating adult.
If you have children, a local group, or school that would like a child-friendly hula class, please get in touch.
🌺 What do I wear?
– PLAIN (ideally black) T-shirts or tank/vest/long sleeve tops; no crops, bras, branding or bare backs/bellies
– If you have a pāʻū (hula skirt), please wear it
– If your pāʻū is open to one or both sides, wear leggings or shorts underneath
– If you have a sarong/pareu, make sure it is tied knee-length or longer and wear leggings or shorts underneath
– If you don’t have a pāʻū/pareu then leggings or joggers are fine to start with; shorts (e.g. board shorts) are also OK but at least knee-length
– Hair should be neat and ideally off the face (ponytail, bun, hairband etc.)
– Barefoot is standard; if you need to wear something on your feet make sure it is non-slip
– Please no fake lei or oversize hair accessories – especially not plastic (our oceans thank you 🧡)
Any questions, let me know!
Advance payments are non-refundable.
Refunds on advance payments will only be issued in the event of class being cancelled by Hawaiian Hula UK and will not be issued for circumstances beyond Hawaiian Hula UK’s control.
There are no refunds for missed classes. If a student is unable to attend a pre-booked class due to illness, injury etc., credit for a future class may be offered at the discretion of Hawaiian Hula UK.
Got a question?