We are hugely privileged to train and teach with guidance from Kumu Hula Rich Pedrina and Hālau Hula ‘O Nāpunaheleonāpua in Oʻahu/Hawaiʻi. HHUK’s hula is deeply rooted in long-standing tradition and lineage, and we mahalo our global ʻohana of mentors and experts in Hawaiian cultural arts, crafts, and language.
With students all over the UK and internationally, we mix weekly Zooms with in-person sessions in Essex and central locations around the UK. Learning hula as part of a group offers both physical and mental health benefits in an environment built on aloha, shared values and community spirit:
- Body – physical conditioning, cardiovascular health, flexibility, mobility
- Mind – new language, new skills
- Dance – strength and grace, emotional expression
- Connect – global ʻohana of hula practitioners, experts & mentors
- Discover – oli (chant), mele (songs & poetry), lei making & other arts
- Explore – aspects of our world, Hawaiʻi and human nature
- Focus – personal development and growth, teamwork & collaborative learning
- Build – community and networking in the UK & worldwide
- Experience – stories from Hawaiʻi past and how they perpetuate through to the 21st century
ZOOM CLASS SCHEDULE
- MONDAY – PRIVATE KAHIKO CLASS
- EVERY 1ST MONDAY – PRIVATE ʻAUANA PRACTICE
- WEDNESDAY – IMPROVERS CLASS
- THURSDAY – PRIVATE HOʻOPAʻA CLASS
- SATURDAY – BEGINNERS CLASS
New to hula? New to hula with us?
Build a solid hula foundation rooted in Hawaiʻi
Learn essential skills, including oli and lei making
Join our HHUK ʻohana today!
Saturdays from 10.00 AM (UK)
£30 per month – 3 classes
AUGUST DATES: 6, 13, 20
Deepen your knowledge of hula, oli and ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi
Research and explore mele and their context
Build strength and style
Wednesdays from 7.15 PM (UK)
£40 per month – 4 classes
Free sessions will now happen ad hoc and are open to anyone who attends HHUK classes online or in person.
Dates will be announced as and when…